Oregon Park Murder Investigation Update
The Shooting at Oregon Park on Friday resulted in a 17-year-old male has been charged with the following:
• Murder in the 1st Degree (willful and deliberate)
• 2 Counts of Attempted Murder in the 1st Degree (willful and deliberate)
• Tampering with Evidence
• Larceny of a firearm
• Unlawful possession of a handgun by a person less than 19 years of age.
The Alamogordo Public School system increased security on Monday and released the following statement
School officials and the police department has been tight lipped on the record. Several individuals have reported off the record the shooter was a student at Alamogordo High School and was allegedly defending a previous attack on his little brother by the victims. The victims are students that are known to have had incidents of truancy and other issues. The alleged assailant has been turned over to OCDC to be transported to a juvenile detention facility pending his appearance in court.
On October 13, 2023, at approximately 3:43 PM, the Alamogordo Police Department responded to the area of Charlotte and Oregon in reference to shots being fired. Upon arrival, Officers located one person suffering a gunshot wound. Officers soon learned there may be more victims in route to the hospital. Those victims soon arrived at the hospital as did our Officers.
Officers and Deputies with the Otero County Sheriff’s Office gained additional information that led officers to a residence in the 200 block of Plainview Drive where they located and detained the alleged suspect.
This case is being investigated by the 12th Judicial District’s Major Crime Unit, a task force comprised of Investigators from the Alamogordo Police Department, the Ruidoso Police Department, the Lincoln County Sheriff’s Office, the Otero County Sheriff’s Office, and the 12th Judicial District Attorney’s Office.
The Major Crime’s Unit requests anyone who may have firsthand knowledge of this incident to contact Detective Diaz at 575-439-4300. There is a rumor of a video of the incident circulating among students at the High School and middle school. The major crimes unit is investigating that among other allegations and details around the incident.
This is one of 3 murders that have occurred i.man Otero County over the last 3 weeks with an escalation of violence. In each case the alleged assailant has been arrested and is pending trial.
More News from Alamogordo
- Heinrich, Luján, Casey Urge Biden to Prioritize Border Security, Fentanyl Crackdown in Budget Request As President prepares FY25 budget request, Senators are pushing for prioritization of border security and anti-fentanyl measures
- Chasing the Light” pastels by Janet Amtmann & Lyn Canham open at Otero Artspace on March 1 @ 5 PM Exhibition open Thursday thru Sundays 1 pm to 4 pm