AlamogordoTownNews.com Sheriff Black’s Public Information Tools - Protecting the Community from Sex Offenders
From Sheriff Black’s Website in regards to sexual predator allows the public to be better informed…
Sheriff Blacks office is pleased to provide OffenderWatch® for the citizens of Otero County. OffenderWatch® is the nation's leading registered sex offender management and community notification tool with hundreds of leading agencies in dozens of states utilizing it. Otero County's law enforcement utilizes OffenderWatch® to manage and monitor the whereabouts, conduct and compliance status of the registered offenders in Otero County. OffenderWatch® provides the most accurate and timely information available and now this information is available to you!
OffenderWatch® is updated instantaneously throughout the day as offender addresses and other offender information is updated in our office. You may enter any address in the county and see real-time information on the publishable offenders within the specified radius of the address you enter.
Offenders move frequently, so instead of having to check the maps on a weekly basis, the best way to stay informed is to take advantage of the free email alert system. You may confidentially register as many addresses in the county as you wish, and we will continuously monitor the addresses and send you an email alert if a new offender registers an address within one mile of any address you register. There is no cost for this service and no limit to the number of addresses you can register - your email address and physical addresses are all confidential.
Tell your friends and neighbors and be sure to register your home, school, work, gym, day care, park, soccer field, parents or children's homes - any address of interest to you!
|Community Awareness Fliers|
|Things to Know|
|Behavior to Watch|
|Talking to Children|
Facts About Sex Offenders
- In 2016, there were approximately 861,837 registered sex offenders in the United States.
- Most sex offenders (80- 95%) assault people they know.
- At least half of convicted child molesters report that they also have sexually assaulted an adult.
- Over 80% of convicted adult rapists report that they have molested children.
- Approximately one-third of sex offenders report assaulting both males and females. Research shows that most convicted sex offenders have committed many, many assaults before they are caught.
- Most sex offenders report that they have committed multiple types of sexual assault (sexual assault crimes include exhibitionism, voyeurism, oral sex, vaginal penetration, attempted penetration, fondling, and incest)
- Over two-thirds of offenders who reported committing incest also said they assaulted victims outside the family.
- Some studies of victims have shown less than 30% of sex crimes are reported to law enforcement.
- Young victims who know or are related to the perpetrator are least likely to report the crime to authorities.
Sex Offender Characteristics
- Most offenders commit multiple crimes against multiple types of victims with whom they have varying types of relationships (adults, children, male, female, known and unknown). This behavior is known as "crossover".
- Sex offenders rarely commit just one type of offense. Many offenders have NO official criminal record or sex crime history of any kind.
- There is no such thing as a "typical" sex offender; however, all tend to be manipulative, deceptive, and secretive. Sex offenders come from all backgrounds, ages, income levels, and professions.
- The majority of offenses (80 - 95%) are committed by someone the victim knows.
- Sexual deviancy often begins in adolescence.
- Sex offenders usually do not commit their crimes impulsively. They usually carefully plan their crimes.
- Approximately 4% of sexual assaults are committed by women.
This article is provided as information not to encourage vigilante Justice but to ensure the public is aware of the tools available to better educate our community and to protect children and at risk populations of the presence of predators in our community.
More News from Alamogordo
- League of Women’s Voters Hosted Tularosa Candidate Forum League of Women’s Voters Otero Branch hosting series of Forums
- DPNM Leader Acknowledges Bad Behavior by Otero County Leaders “his pattern of bullying on social media to be abhorrent and childish”